In between 2015 and 2017, we have send and host Artist-Makers in residency in between Ireland and Spain. Future Artist Maker Labs is an exciting international programme of art-making, exhibition, training, and networking.
Future Artist-Maker Labs harnessed the creative power of 3 leading Labs in Derry~Londonderry, Limerick and Madrid, in an exciting international programme of art-making, exhibition, training, and networking.
The project had 4 elements:
- International residencies which will conclude with an European Artist-maker exhibition in Madrid in April 2017
- Artist-maker apprenticeships and accredited training
- Student Artist-Maker Bootcamp
- Community Creative engagement programme
More detail about the residency project :
- Total project grant : 200K€
- Programme : Creative Europe
- Sub-programme : Culture
- Call number : EACEA 32/2014
- Project date : 1 Jun 2015 - 30 May 2017
- Number of partners in project : 3
- Lead organisation : The Nerve Centre
- Partners : University of Limerick (Ireland); Ultra-lab (Madrid)
Future Artist-Maker Labs sought to build capacity in the artist-maker sector to operate transnationally and enabling transnational circulation / mobility of artist-makers and their work. Key elements included:
- Creating new pieces of art through 3 artist-maker international residencies in the Fab Labs
- Exposing the work of up to 20 leading artist-makers to large audiences across Europe in a major European Artist-Maker travelling exhibition
- Building capacity of artist-maker communities in partner regions through a localised Community Creative support programme, offering up to 48 artist-makers free Lab time, new digital skills and technical know-how
- Exploring questions of what makes art, authorship and ownership, through a simultaneous Community Creative exhibition in 3 partner cities, featuring replicated art works and virtual collaborations – designed in one Lab but built in another
- Training and inspiring the next generation of European artist-makers through an accredited apprenticeship scheme, a Student Artist-maker Bootcamp and an International Artist-maker Symposium
- Making the partner Fab Labs more sustainable by equipping staff with Fab Lab Academy diplomas and exploring new business models
- International networking between partners and participants, sharing expertise and good practice in art-making and fabrication.